World Spine Day
There’s no better time to start strengthening your spine and improve your posture than now!
October 16th is World Spine Day and what better way to celebrate than with some helpful information on how to keep it healthy.
Throughout life the spine is required to withstand considerable weight bearing stress, purely as a result of the pressures of daily living. As we age, the discs lose fluid, become tougher, and less able to respond to weight bearing loads. This puts greater stress on the vertebrae and joints, which in turn form new bone around their edges to create a larger area to withstand weight.
The good news is that attention to a healthy lifestyle from an early age can help reduce the effects of ‘wear and tear’. Follow these simple steps to reduce the effects of ageing and for proper care of the spine:
– Don’t smoke; it affects the nutrition of the discs
– Avoid excessive alcohol intake; it causes weakened bone because of an interrupted blood supply, and even fractures
– Take moderate exercise on a regular basis; it is essential to overall health as well as good spinal health
Make sure your diet is rich in vitamins and minerals (particularly calcium) from fresh, wholesome foods.
- 10 Things You Can Do To Maintain Spine and Joint Health in 2020
- Protect your Spine When Gardening!
- Lower Back Pain with Numb Leg
- Sitting Comfortably with Sciatica
- Back Exercises for Trapped Nerve